The United States also stays on top, as #2in the Education Ranking.The United States boasts of one of the world's best education systems

Quick Guide

⊳ US Student Visa

⊳ Student Acceptance at a SEVP Approved School

⊳ How to apply

⊳Cost of student visa 

⊳ Working on USA Student Visa

⊳ Documents Required for F1 Student Visa Application

⊳ Supporting Financial Documents required for F1 visa

⊳ How to Apply for US Student Visa (F1 Visa) 

US Student Visa:

There are 3 types of student visa:

1. F1 Student Visa:

  • Student applying for a program that requires more than 18hours in a week need an F1 Student visa. This includes all UG and PG program like MS, MBA.
  • You can take your spouse or children with you under F2 visa.Dependents are not able to work in US while you’re studying.

2. J1 Exchange Visitor Visa:

  • J1 Exchange visitor visa is for the students, who are going to visiting scholars or lecturers pursuing an exchange program. Students form Indian universities travel to US on short term study abroad programs under J1 Exchange Visitor Visa.
  • These may include a 10-month vocational training or some research fellowship.

3. M-1 Vocational/ Non-Academic Student Visa:

  • M1 visa is a type student visa which is for technical or vocational programs. The process for applying to F1 and M1 visa are same, difference is M 1 is time stamped and students cannot over stay.

Student Acceptance at a SEVP Approved School:

Students have to apply for SEVP Approved schools in US. Once they approved your application, you will be registered for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and you have to pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee. The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is the web-based system that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) uses to maintain information. SEVP approved school will give you form a called form I-20. After receiving your form I-20 and registering with SEVIS, you can apply for US F1 or M1 VISA at US embassy or students consulate. You need to submit your Form I-20 to the officers while you’re attending your interview at US embassy.

If your spouse or children playing to come along with you while your studying, they must also enroll for SEVIS, get an individual form I-20s from the SEVP approved schools and apply for visa but they don’t have to pay SEVIS fee.

How to apply:

Online Nonimmigrant’s visa Application, Form DS-160. Complete the online visa application, and take a print out of that application form confirmation and bring it your interview.

You need upload photo while completing the online Form DS- 160.

Cost of student visa:

  1. SEVIS Fee which is $350 (INR 26,256 Approx).
  2. VISA application fee which is $160 (12,003 Approx).

Working on USA Student Visa:

During the 1st year students are not able to do off-campus employment. They can work 20 hours per week legally and during vacation they may work up to 40 hours per week.

Documents Required for F1 Student Visa Application:

  • A valid passport with a Validity date at least 6months beyond your period of stay.
  • A photocopy VISA application form DS-160.
  • Interview appointment letter.
  • Acceptance letter from the universities form DS-160.
  • VISA fee payment receipt.
  • Bank statement for at least 3 years proving that you have enough funds to pay for the first year.
  • Pay slips.
  • Original mark sheets and degree certificate.
  • Transcripts, diploma, degrees, certificates.
  • IELTS score sheets.

Supporting Financial Documents required for F1 visa:

  • Tax return for past 3 years.
  • Bank statements and pass book for the past 3years.
  • Statement form certified CA.
  • Scholarship letter if you have one.
  • The loan approval letter by the bank.

How to Apply for US Student Visa (F1 Visa):

  1. Your visa processing starts once you receive form I-20 from the Universities. You can pay the SEVIS I-901 fee any time during the application process, but it is advice able to pay before applying the visa.
  2. After receiving the payment receipt form SEVIS, you can apply for the online visa application. Take photocopy of your application form confirmation.
  3. Pay your visa fee.
  4. Schedule a biometric and interview appointment.
  5. For the Biometric appointment, you will be required to appear in person to get photograph clicked for the visa and get your fingerprints scanned.
  6. At the personal interview if the officer is convinced with your performance, they will keep your passport with them to get the visa stamped.

The F1 visa holders can stay up to 12 months after completing their graduation. You can work for 1 year you after finish study. This is temporary employment permission for the students to gain practical work knowledge in their field. If you wish to continue working in US, you need apply for work visa. You can remain in the US up to 60 days after the completion of your course even if you don’t have a job

Disclaimer : Greentree Immigration Service private limited is not a recruitment or placement agency we do not assure any type of job and employment offers also any domestic/international placements