Spouse/Dependent Visa Canada

If the client is eligible, who can sponsor their spouse, partner or dependent children to become permanent residents of Canada.

  • Must be able to support them financially.
  • Make sure they don’t need social assistance from the government.
Eligible (sponsor)
  1. One must be at least 18 years old.
  2. Should be a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident of Canada.
  3. Able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability from the government.
  4. One must be able to provide for the basic needs of any persons they want to sponsor.
  5. Must have a permeant job
  6. Mustn’t be involved in any criminal cases during the stay as PR in Canada.
  7. (Basely the person should be able to sponsor the dependent)
    • One must live in Canada to sponsor eligible relatives unless they:

      • Are a Canadian citizen who lives abroad 
      • Plan to return to Canada when your relatives immigrate and
      • Are sponsoring their
      • Spouse or
      • Common-law or conjugal partner or
      • Dependent children who have no dependent children

      If one live in Quebec, one must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor after we approve one as a sponsor. This includes signing an “undertaking” with the province. This is a contract that binds one’s sponsorship.


When one sponsor a relative to become a permanent resident of Canada, one must:

  1. Meet set income guidelines
  2. Agree in writing to give financial support to their relative and any other eligible relatives coming with them:
    • beginning on the date they become a permanent resident
    • for up to 20 years (depending on their age and how you’re related)
  3. The person one sponsor must sign an agreement saying they will make the effort to support themselves. This includes sponsored dependent children 18 or older. Dependent children under 19 don’t have to sign this agreement.

ONE CAN SPONSOR (Who can apply)

Only a spouse who is legally married and should be at least 18 years old or a common law partner who has been living together for at least 12 months which is continuously for 1 year. Can be either sex.

Any time spent away from each other should have been:

  1. Short
  2. Temporary.

Conjugal partner (who is living outside Canada)

Isn’t legally married to you or in a common-law relationship with you

Can be either sex

Is at least 18 years old

Has been in a relationship with you for at least 1 year

One can't live with you in their country of residence or marry you because of significant legal and immigration reasons such as

Their marital status (for example, they’re still married to someone else in a country where divorce isn’t possible)

Their sexual orientation (for example, you are in a same- sex relationship, and same-sex relationships are not accepted, or same-sex marriage is illegal where they live),

Persecution (for example, your relationship is between different religious groups which is not accepted and they may be punished legally or socially)

One will need to give proof that they could not live together or get married in their conjugal partner’s country (for example, proof of refused long-term stays in each other’s country).

Dependent children

Children qualify as dependents if they meet both of these requirements:

Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependents if they meet both of these requirements:

With the exception of age, a dependent child must continue to meet these requirements until he/she finishes processing the application.

If they qualify as a dependent child, one can sponsor

  1. If you’re a Canadian citizen, your child may also be a Canadian citizen, even if they weren’t born in Canada. You can’t sponsor your child for permanent residence if they’re Canadian citizens already.
  2. If you’re sponsoring just your child, without sponsoring your spouse or partner, you’ll name your child as the principal applicant in the application. You’ll have to show that the other parent or legal guardian agrees to your child immigrating to Canada.
  3. If the child you want to sponsor has a child of their own (your grandchild), you’ll include your grandchild as a dependent in the application.
  4. If you want to sponsor your adopted child or an orphaned family member, follow the instructions to sponsor your adopted child or orphaned family member instead.

One’s spouse or partner and their child

  1. If you’re sponsoring your spouse or partner and a child (either their own child or a child you’ve had together), you’ll name your spouse or partner as the principal applicant and the child as the dependent in the application.
  2. If the child you want to sponsor has a child of their own, you’ll include the grandchild as a dependent in the application

Family Sponsorship Processing Fees

Permanent residents wishing to sponsor their family to Canada will be required to pay the following fees:

Spousal and dependent child sponsorship

Application Processing fee in $ CAD
Spouse or common-law partner (with sponsorship fee, principal applicant fee, and right to permanent residence fee) $1050
Dependent child Add $150 per child

Parent or grandparent sponsorship

Application Processing fee in $ CAD
Parent or grandparent (with sponsorship fee, principal applicant fee, and right to permanent residence fee) $1050
Spouse or common-law partner of your parent or grandparent $1050
Dependent children of your parent or grandparent $150

Spouse or common-law partner living outside Canada

12 months because it is an offline process You may need to give biometrics with your application

This processing time includes:

Dependent child

18 months You may need to give biometrics with your application. This processing time includes:

  1. the time you need to give your biometrics
  2. the assessment of the sponsor: 23 days

Documents Required

The documentation required for sponsoring a dependent under the Canada Dependent Visa includes:

  1. Passport & travel history
  2. Background documentation
  3. Spouse/partner documentation including marriage certificate
  4. Other proof of relationship
  5. Income proof of sponsor to show adequate finances
  6. Completed application & consulate fees

Benefits of Canada Dependent PR Visa

Documents that can be used as proof of a common-law relationship include

  1. shared ownership of residential property
  2. joint leases or rental agreements
  3. bills for shared utility accounts
  4. important documents for both showing the same address, such as:
  5. driver’s licenses
  6. insurance policies
  7. identification documents

GreenTree process flow on Dependent PR

The process time is 12 months because it is an offline process

Required documents for a sponsor:

Required documents for a Dependent spouse:

  1. Marriage certificate
  2. Marriage photographs (specifications of date, event)
  3. Birth certificate
  4. Marriage Invitation (Hardcopy)
  5. Letter from IN LAWS and PARENTS
  6. Marriage Expenses (wedding hall, catering, etc.)
  7. Travel Documents of the sponsor when travelled for marriage purpose
  8. WhatsApp chat

Official Forms :

  1. There are 6 official documents
  2. Documents checklist
  3. General documents
  4. Application to the spouse
  5. After producing all the documents both the sponsor and the spouse should sign the forms
  6. Validate A bar code will generate where it will be sent to the client and the client should verify and sign it.
  7. Must arrange the forms in order after the applicate signs (first the forms then the requirements)
  8. Send the documents to the sponsor to sign, the spouse is reasonable to send it to the embassy
  9. If the sponsor is living in Canada must submit the documents in Nova Scotia immigration office.
  10. Once after the documents are signed must pay the fees
  11. The receipts should also be attached to the documents.
  12. Receive biometers request
  13. MCC request
  14. Final discussion will be made by the IRCC

Our Happy Clients

Our Accreditation
Recognized Awards Listed in