US Student Visa

There are 3 types of student visa

1. F1 Student Visa:

Students applying for a program that requires more than 18hours in a week need an F1 Student visa. This includes all UG and PG programs like MS, MBA.

You can take your spouse or children with you under F2 visa.Dependents are not able to work in US while you’re studying.

2. J1 Exchange Visitor Visa:

J1 Exchange visitor visa is for the students, who are going to visit scholars or lecturers pursuing an exchange program. Students from Indian universities travel to the US on short term study abroad programs under J1 Exchange Visitor Visa.

These may include a 10-month vocational training or some research fellowship.

3. M-1 Vocational/ Non-Academic Student Visa:

M1 visa is a type of student visa which is for technical or vocational programs. The process for applying to F1 and M1 visas are the same, the difference is M 1 is time stamped and students cannot over stay.

Student Acceptance at a SEVP Approved School

Students have to apply for SEVP Approved schools in the US. Once they approve your application, you will be registered for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and you have to pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee. The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is the web-based system that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) uses to maintain information. SEVP approved schools will give you a form called form I-20. After receiving your form I-20 and registering with SEVIS, you can apply for US F1 or M1 VISA at the US embassy or students consulate. You need to submit your Form I-20 to the officers while you’re attending your interview at the US embassy.

If your spouse or children are playing to come along with you while you're studying, they must also enroll for SEVIS, get an individual form I-20s from the SEVP approved schools and apply for a visa but they don’t have to pay the SEVIS fee.

Online Nonimmigrant’s visa Application, Form DS-160. Complete the online visa application, and take a print out of that application form confirmation and bring it to your interview.You need to upload a photo while completing the online Form DS- 160.

Cost of student visa

  1. SEVIS Fee which is $350 (INR 26,256 Approx)
  2. VISA application fee which is $160 (12,003 Approx)

Working on USA Student Visa

During the 1st year students are not able to do off-campus employment. They can work 20 hours per week legally and during vacation they may work up to 40 hours per week.

Documents Required for F1 Student Visa Application

  • A valid passport with a Validity date at least 6months beyond your period of stay.
  • A photocopy VISA application form DS-160.
  • Interview appointment letter.
  • Acceptance letter from the universities form DS-160.
  • VISA fee payment receipt.
  • Bank statement for at least 3 years proving that you have enough funds to pay for the first year.
  • Pay slips.
  • Original mark sheets and degree certificate.
  • Transcripts, diploma, degrees, certificates.
  • IELTS score sheets.

The spouse and dependent children of a student will be granted a visitor visa for the same duration as their partners or parents stay. Dependents of students cannot work under visitor’s visa.

Students must complete your course within the minimum course duration listed on your acceptance letter. If you don’t have any job offer at the completion of your course, you can apply for a post study work visa. Students can work up to 20 hours per week and may work full time during all scheduled holidays.

  • Tax return for past 3 years.
  • Bank statements and pass book for the past 3years
  • Statement form certified CA.
  • Scholarship letter if you have one.
  • The loan approval letter by the bank.
  • Your visa processing starts once you receive form I-20 from the Universities. You can pay the SEVIS I-901 fee any time during the application process, but it is advised to pay before applying for the visa.
  • After receiving the payment receipt form SEVIS, you can apply for the online visa application. Take a photocopy of your application form confirmation.
  • Pay your visa fee.
  • Schedule a biometric and interview appointment
  • For the Biometric appointment, you will be required to appear in person to get a photograph clicked for the visa and get your fingerprints scanned.
  • At the personal interview if the officer is convinced with your performance, they will keep your passport with them to get the visa stamped.
  • The F1 visa holders can stay up to 12 months after completing their graduation. You can work for 1 year after you finish studying. This is temporary employment permission for the students to gain practical work knowledge in their field. If you wish to continue working in the US, you need to apply for a work visa. You can remain in the US up to 60 days after the completion of your course even if you don’t have a job

Our Accreditation
Awards & Media Mentors